The head of school:
Advanced Doctor in Engineering Sciences, Full Professor, Honored Scientist of the Republic of Belarus, Laureate of the State Prize of Ukraine, Member of the Russian National Committee on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Co-Chair of the International Coordinating Council on Tribo-Fatigue, Honorary Worker of Railway of Russia, Honorary Citizen of Chechersk
Sosnovsky Leonid Adamovich
The main directions of scientific research
- the experimental and theoretical studies of damage processes, conditions for reaching the ultimate state and durability of the most critical - tribophatic systems of machines and mechanisms according to the most important performance criteria;
- the development and manufacture of machines for wear-fatigue testing of materials, models of friction pairs and tribo-static systems in conditions close to operational;
- the development and implementation:
- of the effective methods for managing the processes of complex wear-and-tear damage of tribo-fat systems in order to increase their operational reliability while reducing labor costs, means and materials in production and operation;
- of the methods of wear resistance tests, including accelerated ones;
- of the technical regulatory acts, including state standards.
Quantitative and qualitative composition
Currently, about 20 people work in the framework of the scientific school, of which 10 are young scientists (under 35), including 2 Advanced Doctor, 4 Ph.Ds, 4 postgraduates, 2 doctoral candidates.
The main scientific results, the most significant implemented developments
Among the many phenomena leading to failures of units and parts of machines and equipment, the most dangerous are wear and tear: they account for up to 90% of all failures. The development of modern technology poses a problem for science to comprehensively assess the damage and marginal state of power systems in which the friction process (when sliding, rolling or fretting) and simultaneously alternating (non-contact) loads are perceived and transmitted.
Traditionally, the calculation of the elements of power systems is differentiated, i.e. according to individual criteria for fatigue resistance and wear resistance, not taking into account the relationship between the elements of the power system and the interaction of damaging phenomena, which in practice often leads to insufficient operational reliability of power systems. The problem of complex wear-and-tear damage resulting from the complex interaction of at least two damaging phenomena - friction (and wear) and fatigue is solved in the framework of a new scientific discipline, which is briefly called tribo-fatigue.
To confirm the significance of the problem, it can be pointed out that so far more than 800 works, including 20 books and monographs, have been published in this new field of knowledge; 8 state standards were developed, including 3 interstate; 18 patents; 5 textbooks for technical universities were published, including a 2-volume lecture course approved by the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Belarus. 6 international symposia were held in 4 countries: (Gomel (1993), Moscow (1996), Beijing (2000), Ternopol (2002), Irkutsk (2005), Minsk (2010)), and 120 scientists from different countries were awarded an Honorary Diploma “For contribution to the development of tribo-fatigue”, including 16 Belarusian.
In 2005-2010 development in the Republic of Belarus of work in the field of tribo-fatigue was carried out within the framework of the tasks of the State comprehensive research programs “Mechanics” and “New Components in Mechanical Engineering”:
- the development and research of a set of tools and methods for assessing and ensuring a given operational resource of gears according to the criteria of bending and contact fatigue (in cooperation with the PA Gomselmash, the OJSC MAZ, the JIME NASB, the BelSUT, etc.);
- the development of manufacturing technology, heat treatment and testing methods for cast gears instead of wheels made from steel forgings (in conjunction with PA Gomselmash, JIME NASB, etc.);
- the development, research and experimental substantiation of the model of corrosion-erosion fatigue of pipes and the creation of algorithms and methods for managing the operational longevity of the linear part of oil pipelines (together with the OJSC Gomeltransneft Druzhba, etc.);
- the modeling and solving a new class of contact problems of mechanics of critical assemblies and systems of modern machines and equipment to ensure their specified longevity; development of a methodology and tools of multi-purpose accelerated testings of materials, structural elements, models of friction units and power systems under complex loading, mechanical fatigue, friction and wear (in conjunction with the BSU, the PA Gomselmash, the BelSUT, etc.).
Currently, work is being carried out as part of the tasks of the State comprehensive research program “Mechanics, Technical Diagnostics, Metallurgy”:
- the creation of experimental rails from ductile iron with globular graphite and assessment of their performance. Identification of the structure of iron castings by the magnetic method based on the internal demagnetization coefficient of ferrite inclusions;
- the development of the theory of mobile machines, methods for calculating functional properties, evaluating and ensuring the reliability of components, assemblies and machines in general during design and operation, development of new methods for calculating the strength and wear resistance of power systems;
- the study of mechanical properties, fatigue resistance during bending and friction, crack resistance depending on the heat treatment conditions of high-strength globular cast iron with special service properties.
There are 9 candidate dissertations were defended as a result of research of a scientific school (A.V. Bogdanovich, V.A. Zhmaylik, A.M. Bordovsky, V.V. Vorobiev, S.A. Tyurin, V.V. Komissarov, A.A. Kebikov, O.M. Yelovoy, A.N. Kozik) and 1 doctoral dissertation (A.V. Bogdanovich).
The main scientific results of the school on tribo-fatigue:
- the methodological, theoretical and experimental foundations of tribo-fatigue has been developed by- of a new section of mechanics;
- the principles of mechanothermodynamics, a new physical discipline, are formulated and their analysis is given;
- the generalized theory of the evolution of complex dynamic systems with elements of the mind is proposed;
- from a philosophical perspective, a fundamental concept of L-risk has been developed and its organic relationship with gold proportions has been shown;
- the concept of tribo-fatal life was developed as a special way of accumulating damage in living and intelligent organisms
- the beginning was laid for the development of quantitative methods in dialectics;
- the generalized theory of L-interactions of irreversible damages (effective energies) is formulated, which underlies the transition from factor analysis to phenomenal analysis in mechanics;
- the principles of the theory of the transcendental states of complex systems are formulated, for which an idea of the probability of reliable events varying in the range is introduced(1; ∞);
- the previously unknown phenomenon troppy was discovered;
- the generalized law of friction in power (tribophatic) systems was substantiated and formulated;
- a phenomenological model transition from deformation (macro) to molecular (nanolevel) mechanisms of friction;
- the innovative testing technologies have been developed and a new class of testing equipment has been created - the SI series machines for comprehensive wear-resistant testings of materials and models of power systems. To date, on the basis of a number of inventions, 14 modifications of such machines have been developed and manufactured. In recent years (since 2005), 6 of them have been created: four for the PA Gomselmash, one for the OJSC "Gomeltransneft Druzhba, one for the Belarusian-Russian University (Mogilev) and one for the EI " Belarusian State University ”(Minsk). The generalized coefficient of the technical level of the created machines of the SI series ranges from 1.5–2.5 (world-class coefficient ≥ 1). According to reports, such machines do not yet have analogues abroad. This allows you to set the task of forming a new sector of the world market testing machines for the production and realization of the SI series machines. SI series machines are used to evaluate the service properties of materials according to the comprehensive criteria of wear-resistant damage, to solve practical problems to ensure the required operational reliability of machines and equipment.
The research results of the scientific school are reported at prestigious scientific forums in Belarus, Russia, Ukraine and abroad.
To date, a training course on tribo-fatigue has been introduced at several universities in the country (BelSUT, BSU, etc.), it is taught for future engineers and mechanical mathematicians; full educational and methodological support for this course has been created.
The Belarusian Scientific School of Tribo-Fatigue occupies leading positions in modern mechanics as its promising partition.
The main publications of the scientific school
- Sosnovskiy L.A., Sherbakov S.S. Surprises of Tribo-Fatigue. – Minsk: Magic book, 2009. – 200 p.
- Щербаков С.С., Сосновский Л.А. Механика трибофатических систем: [монография]. – Минск: БГУ, 2010. – 407 с.
- Сосновский Л.А., Богданович А.В. Трещиностойкость: [монография]. – Гомель: БелГУТ, 2011. – 366 с.
- Надежность. Риск. Качество: [монография] /Л.А. Сосновский [и др.]; науч. ред. Л.А. Сосновский; М-во образования Респ. Беларусь, Белорус. гос. ун-т трансп. – Гомель: БелГУТ, 2012. – 358 с.
The teaching aids:
- Сосновский Л.А., Комиссаров В.В., Щербаков С.С. Основы трибофатики: пособие к лекционному курсу. – Ч.2. – Гомель: БелГУТ, 2008. – 216 с.
- Сосновский Л.А., Журавков М.А., Щербаков С.С. Фундаментальные и прикладные задачи трибофатики: курс лекций. – Минск: БГУ, 2010. – 488 с.
- Сосновский Л.А., Журавков М.А., Щербаков С.С. Введение в трибофатику: пособие для студентов механико-математического факультета, обучающихся по специальности 1-31 03 02 «Механика» (по направлениям). – Минск: БГУ, 2010. – 77 с.
- Сосновский Л.А., Комиссаров В.В. Объемное деформирование и разрушение: статика: учебно-методическое пособие по курсу «Основы трибофатики» / – Гомель: БелГУТ, 2011. – 139 с.
- Комиссаров В.В. Определение характеристик сопротивления износоусталостным повреждениям: учебно-методическое пособие по выполнению работ по дисциплине «Основы трибофатики». – Гомель: БелГУТ, 2013. – 47 с.
The scientific publications in foreign journals
- Sosnovskiy L.А., Makhutov N.А., Matviatsov V.I., Kebikov A.A. Method of the Shortcut Estimation of Rails Reliability by the Fatigue Strength Criterion // Проблемы прочности. – 2009. – № 1. – С. 88–94.
- Sosnovskiy L.А., Zhmailik V.А., Komissarov V.V. Size Effect in Contact Fatigue // Проблемы прочности. – 2009. – № 1. – С. 113–120.
- Журавков М.А., Щербаков С.С., Сосновский Л.А. Применение методологии механики деформируемого твердого тела в трибофатике / Методи розв’язування прикладних задач механiки деформiвного твердого тiла. Сборник научных трудов / – Днепропетровск: Днепропетровский национальный университет: IМА-прес, 2009. – Вып. 10. – С. 116–122.
- Сосновский Л.А., Щербаков С.С. Обобщенная теория прочности / Проблеми обчислювальноi механiки и мiцностi конструкцiй. Сборник научных трудов / – Днепропетровск: Днепропетровский национальный университет: IМА-прес, 2009. – Вып. 13. – С. 214–220.
- Сосновский Л.А., Богданович А.В. Расчетно-экспериментальный метод определения циклической трещиностойкости при упругопластическом деформировании и его применение для оценки живучести трубы Ду 550х30 ГЦТ АЭС после эксплуатации // Надежность и долговечность машин и сооружений: Международный научно-технический сборник / Вып. 32. – Киев: ИПП НАНУ им. Г.С. Писаренко, 2009. – С.153–161.
- Сосновский Л.А., Журавков М.А., Щербаков С.С. Основы механики трибофатических систем // Вестник Нижегородского университета им. Н.И. Лобачевского. – 2011. – № 4 (5). – С. 2508–2509.
- Сосновский Л.А., Щербаков С.С. Концепции поврежденности материалов // Вiсник Тернопiльского Нацiонального технiчного унiверситету. – 2011. – Спецвыпуск. – Ч.1. – С.14–23.
- Sosnovskiy L.A., Sherbakov S.S. Mechanothermodynamical System and Its Behavior. Continuum Mech. Thermodyn. – 2012, – Vol. 24, Issue 3, pp. 239–256.
- Сосновский Л.А., Щербаков С.С. Об одной гипотезе в механике деформируемых систем // Динамические и технологические проблемы механики конструкций и сплошных сред (Материалы XIV Международного симпозиума, Ярополец, 18–22 февраля 2008 г.). – М.: МАИ, 2008. – С.189–190.
- Sosnovskiy L.A., Zhuravkov M.A., Sherbakov S.S. Dangerous Volume as the Measure of Damage // «The Improvement of the Quality, Reliability and Long Usage of Technical Systems and Technological Processes» (Proc. of the 7th International Conference, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, December 7–14, 2008). – Khmelnitsky: KNU, 2008. – Р. 105–108.
- Sosnovskiy L.A., Sherbakov S.S. Model of deformable rigid body with dangerous volume // Proceedings of the 36th Solid Mechanics Conference (Gdansk, 9–12 September 2008). – Warszawa, 2008. – P.154–155.
- Sherbakov S.S., Sosnovskiy L.A. Influence of stress-strain state caused by non-contact forces on formation of contact boundary conditions // Proceedings of the 36th Solid Mechanics Conference (Gdansk, 9–12 September 2008). – Warszawa, 2008. –P. 284–285.
- Сосновский Л.А., Щербаков С.С., Комиссаров В.В. Об анализе трения в силовой системе типа колесо-рельс // «Устройство и содержание пути и подвижного состава при тяжеловесном и скоростном движении поездов «Колесо-рельс» (Сборник научных трудов научно-практической конференции, Москва, ВНИИЖТ, 28–29 октября 2008 г.). – М.: ВНИИЖТ, 2008. – С. 201–203.
- Sherbakov S.S., Bogdanovich A.V., Sosnovskiy L.A. Cyclic Elasto-Plastic Fracture Diagram for a Specimen with Crack // Proc. of the 12th International Conference on Fracture (Ottawa, Canada, July 12–17, 2009). – Ottawa, 2009.
- Sosnovskiy L.A., Bogdanovich A.V., Sherbakov S.S. Experimental Research of Crack Growth Resistance // Proc. of the 12th International Conference on Fracture (Ottawa, Canada, July 12–17, 2009). – Ottawa, 2009.
- Sosnovskiy L.A., Zhuravkov M.A., Sherbakov S.S. Model of Deformable Rigid Body with Dangerous Volume for Contact Problems with Friction // Proc. of the IVth World Tribology Congress (WTC IV) (Kyoto, Japan, September 6–11, 2009). – Kyoto, 2009. – P. 156.
- Sosnovskiy L.A., Sherbakov S.S., Yelovoy O.M., Komarov A.I., Komarova V.I. Local Plastic Deformation of High-Strength Steel under Rolling Contact Fatigue // Proc. of the IVth World Tribology Congress (WTC IV) (Kyoto, Japan, September 6–11, 2009). – Kyoto, 2009. – P. 389.
- Сосновский Л.А., Жмайлик В.А., Гапанович В.А., Комиссаров В.В. Железнодорожные рельсы из высокопрочного чугуна. Постановка проблемы // Комплексная система содержания инфраструктуры ОАО «РЖД» (Материалы научно-практической конференции, 28 октября 2009 г.). – М.: ОАО «РЖД», 2009. – С. 74–78.
- Zhuravkov M.A., Sherbakov S.S., Sosnovskiy L.A. Mechanical and Mathematical Model of Stress-Strain State of Roller/Shaft System in Conditions of Rolling Friction and Bending of Shaft // Proc. of the 17th International Colloquium Tribology (Stuttgart/Ostfildern, Germany, January 19–21, 2010). – Ostfildern, 2010. – P. 36.
- Sherbakov S.S., Sosnovskiy L.A., Komissarov V.V. Analytical Solution for a Problem of Determination of Force and Coefficient of Friction with the Account of Effect of Non-Contact Loading // Proc. of the 17th International Colloquium Tribology (Stuttgart/Ostfildern, Germany, January 19–21, 2010). – Ostfildern, 2010. – P. 37.
- Sosnovskiy L.A., Komissarov V.V., Kebikov A.A., Sherbakov S.S. Experimental Study of Influence of Bending on the Value of Friction Coefficient and Approach of axes at Rolling // Proc. of the 17th International Colloquium Tribology (Stuttgart/Ostfildern, Germany, January 19–21, 2010). – Ostfildern, 2010. – P. 38.
- Sosnovskiy L.A. About the future Development of Tribology as Fundamental Scientific Discipline // Proc. of the 17th International Colloquium Tribology (Stuttgart/Ostfildern, Germany, January 19–21, 2010). – Ostfildern, 2010. – P. 39.
- Sosnovskiy L.A., Makhutov N.A., Bogdanovich A.V., Marchenko A.V., Tyurin S.A. Limiting States under Sliding Fatigue // Proc. of the 17th International Colloquium Tribology (Stuttgart/Ostfildern, Germany, January 19–21, 2010). – Ostfildern, 2010. – P. 40.
- Sosnovskiy L.A., Zhmailik V.A., Komissarov V.V., Sherbakov S.S. Study of the Scale Effect at Rolling Friction // Proc. of the 17th International Colloquium Tribology (Stuttgart/Ostfildern, Germany, January 19–21, 2010). – Ostfildern, 2010. – P. 196.
- Сосновский Л.А. От трибологии к трибофатике // Актуальные проблемы механики сплошной среды (Труды II Международной конференции, Дилижан, Армения, 4–8 октября 2010 г.). – Ер.: ЕГУАС, 2010. – Т.2. – С. 160–164.
- Сосновский Л.А., Щербаков С.С. Новый класс контактных задач и методы их решения // Актуальные проблемы механики сплошной среды (Труды II Международной конференции, Дилижан, Армения, 4–8 октября 2010 г.). – Ер.: ЕГУАС, 2010. – Т.2. – С. 165–169.
- Leonid Sosnovskiy, Sergei Sherbakov, Sergei Tyurin, Victar Kamisarau. Rail Corrugation: Experiment and Theory // «ICEM-15. Experimental Mechanics. New Trends and Perspectives» (Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics (Porto, Portugal, 22–27 July 2012) / Editors: J.F. Silva Gomes, Mario A.P. Vaz. – Porto: Edicoes INEGI, 2012. – P. 889–890.
- Sergei Sherbakov, Leonid Sosnovskiy, Victar Kamisarau. Study of the Influence of Bending on the Value of Friction Coefficient and Approach of Axes at Rolling // «ICEM-15. Experimental Mechanics. New Trends and Perspectives» (Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics (Porto, Portugal, 22–27 July 2012) / Editors: J.F. Silva Gomes, Mario A.P. Vaz. – Porto: Edicoes INEGI, 2012. – P. 891–892.
- Замятнин В.О., Комиссаров В.В., Тюрин С.А., Сосновский Л.А. Универсальный испытательный центр СИ // Живучесть и конструкционное материаловедение (Материалы конференции (аннотации докладов), 22–24 октября 2012 г.). – М.: ИМАШ РАН им. А.А. Благонравова, 2012. – С. 22.
- Сосновский Л.А., Махутов Н.А. Надежность трибофатических систем в неклассической постановке // Живучесть и конструкционное материаловедение (Материалы конференции (аннотации докладов), 22–24 октября 2012 г.). – М.: ИМАШ РАН им. А.А. Благонравова, 2012. – С. 53.
The scientific relations with domestic scientific organizations and the international scientific community
Joint scientific research is being conducted with scientific, educational organizations and enterprises: the JIME NASB (Minsk), the BelSUT (Gomel), the BSU, the BSTU, the BNTU (Minsk), the Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno, the Production Association Gomselmash (Gomel), the OJSC MAZ (Minsk), the OJSC Gomeltransneft Druzhba (Gomel city), etc.
The public recognition of a science school
As you know, Belarusian scientists have priority in creating tribo-fatigue. “It was in Belarus that a new science was born and is successfully developing - tribo-fatigue, one of the most promising branches of mechanics,” acknowledged K.V. Frolov, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the NAS B, and Minister of Education of the Republic of Belarus, Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Professor V.I. Strazhev wrote: “The birth of a new science does not happen so often in our time, therefore, it undoubtedly is an honor for any state ... The Republic of Belarus is the cradle of tribo-fatigue. This has been recognized by prominent scientists of our time.”
The public recognition of the scientific school is confirmed by:
the scientific awards (state, international, academies and universities) received by members of a scientific school:
- 1997 - a group of Ukrainian and Belarusian scientists (scientific adviser V.T. Troshchenko) was awarded the State Prize of Ukraine in the field of science and technology (L.A. Sosnovsky's contribution - work on tribo-fatigue);
- 2009 - Shcherbakov S.S. was awarded by Prize named by A.N. Sevchenko by the decision of the Academic Council of the BSU for young scientists “For a series of studies on the features of the stress-strain state of mechanical systems in the conditions of contact interaction and volumetric deformation as applied to critical technical objects”;
the medals and diplomas for scientific achievements received by members of a scientific school:
- 1989 - L.A. Sosnovsky was awarded the silver medal of VDNH of the USSR "For the development of methodological and theoretical foundations of tribo-fatigue";
- 2009 - at the World Tribological Congress WTC-IV (Kyoto, Japan), PA GOMSELMASH and S&P Group TRIBO-FATIGUE for the first time presented the project “Surprises Tribo-Fatigue” with a demonstration of the SI-03M wear test machine; the project was awarded with a Diploma in which the “unique capabilities" of the machine are noted;
- 2009 - V.V. Komissarov was awarded the diploma of the Gomel Regional Executive Committee by talented young scientists and specialists “For achieving significant results in saving and thrift when conducting research and applied research in the field of natural and technical sciences”;
- 2010 - the СИ-04 machine was first introduced by Grodno University named after Y. Kupala for wear-resistant tests at the St. Petersburg Technical Fair in the competition "The Best Innovative Project and the Best Scientific and Technical Development of the Year". The project was awarded with a Diploma of the II degree (with the presentation of a silver medal) in the nomination "New high-tech equipment development and high technology";
- 2010 - the scientific session "Philosophy, Synergetics and Tribo-Fatigue" was held in the framework of ISTF 2010, at which L.A. Sosnovsky was awarded the Certificate of Honor of the Institute of Philosophy of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus "For his outstanding contribution to the development of interdisciplinary scientific research, the promotion of modern philosophical knowledge, the development of innovative principles for introducing philosophical methodology into the solution of the most important natural and technical problems";
- 2013 - L.A. Sosnovsky was awarded the jubilee medal «У гонар 80-годдзя Нацыянальнай акадэмii навук Беларусi» за значны ўклад у развiццё новых напрамкаў навуковых даследванняў i распрацовак у галiне забеспячэння эксплуатацыйнага рэсурса прамысловых вырабаў, актыўнае супрацоўнiцтва з арганiзацыямi Нацыянальнай акадэмii навук Беларусi
The honorary scientific titles received by members of the scientific school:
- 2008 - L.A. Sosnovsky received the highest award from Russian Railways (Russian Railways) - the Honorary Railwayman badge (the order was signed by the president of Russian Railways, V.I. Yakunin) for a significant contribution to the creation of methodological, theoretical and experimental foundations of tribo-fatigue, improving the operational reliability of the brake pads-wheel-rail system, and training highly qualified specialists in railway transport.